Sunday, February 23, 2014

Project Perform Post 16

Hello! 

So, as you know from my last post, I was in Europe this past week! I had the time of my life. I got to do plenty of cool things, but I thought I'd just tell you about my musical theatre experiences while I was there. 

The last day we were in London, Monday, was an unforgettable day. In the morning, we went to Pinneapple Studios and got a private workshop from Matt Krzan, the dance captain from Book of Mormon. Now, you might recall me saying that Gavin Creel was going to do this workshop for us. However, Gavin had been sick the previous week, and because he wanted to be in tip top health to perform in the show we went to go see, Matt did the workshop instead. He taught us two numbers from Book of Mormon: Man Up and Two By Two. I pushed myself to the front and worked my butt off. It was an incredible experience. 

That night, we went to go see Book of Mormon. Here is a picture of the marquee:


and here is a picture of the curtain before the show started:


The show was unbelievably good. I wish I could describe in detail how awesome it was, but I guess you'll have to go see the show yourself to understand! 

Now here comes the cool part. The choreographer of our choir knew Gavin Creel personally, and somehow got us to go backstage after the show. We got to go on the stage where the set is!! I would've gotten pictures, but Gavin asked us not to because pictures of the set are not allowed on the internet. Two other cast members, Alexia Khadime (Nabulungi) and Jared Gertner (Elder Cunningham), came to hang out with us too. They just had a casual Q&A session with us, and I wish I could tell you that they offered advice during the Q&A, but they didn't. They mostly just talked about personal experiences. Here's a picture from that night:


And while we're on the topic of Jared Gertner, I have another small story for you. Okay, so, background information: I watch this web series called Submissions Only, which is a show by Broadway.com about living as an actor in New York. It's hilarious and I would highly recommend it. Anyway, Jared Gertner plays a main character in this series. I was fully planning on telling him personally how much I love him in Submissions Only, but I barely had an opportunity to talk to him alone so I never got the chance. However, this happened:


Needless to say, I basically had a seizure in my hotel bed when I woke up to find that. If you don't believe me, ask my roommate. 

The whole trip was incredible and I'm slightly sad to be home. It was a week filled with wonderful experiences, as you can see.

Thanks for reading!!

-Alexandra

2 comments:

Danielle Krueger said...

Sounds like you had a great time!! I'm going to see Book of Mormon in a few weeks - I was already excited but after your great review I'm even more excited!

AlexandraN said...

let me know how you like it!!

Post a Comment